Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My mother dog has the same red resh on her belly not the nipples

Customer Question

My mother dog has the same red resh on her belly not the nipples and I see your recommendation for Benadryl. I just clipped the nails so hoping that will help. Is there anything I can put ON the rash it looks almost raw.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is she licking the area? 2- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not licking the area. She is 53 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, in response to your question yes you can give her Benadryl 50mg every 12 hour. In addition, this is what you can do: 1- Do not let her lick the area or the medication below. If she does lick pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter