Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

What do you recomendas treatment ?

Customer Question

what do you recomendas treatment for mange?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear your dog has mange. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
There are different types of mange, and the treatment is different depending on what kind of mange it is. Mange is caused by tiny mites, not seen by the naked eye, and there are different mites. If this is scabies or cheyletiella mites, then using Revolution topical flea and tick drops may be all you have to do. If this is demodex mites, that is a lot harder to treat. Usually we give ivermectin daily by mouth, sometimes for weeks or even months.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Has a skin scraping been done to identify which mites you dog has?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No skin scraping. Have used Eco Mange and Hot Spot spray
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If no skin scraping has been done, you cannot know that this is mange. We sometimes use the word "mange" to refer to an itchy dog with red spots and hair loss, but often these dogs have allergies, skin infections, hot spots, ringworm, etc. and do not have actual mange.
Mange is a parasitic skin disease, and you have to use medication that kills the mites. If the mites are Sarcoptes or Cheylietella, then you can use Revolution. If they are Demodex, you need the prescription medication ivermectin.