Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Dog in coma after horrible seizures. Been to vet $500...phenobarb

Customer Question

dog in coma after horrible seizures. Been to vet $500...phenobarb made her crazy. Can't afford another $500 How can I hydrate her @ home? and chance with a saline enema? please help. Thank you. Merrily Giuliano
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has answered your question yet, but this is a tough question and we do not have good news for you.There is not any good way to hydrate a comatose dog, assuming she is still in the coma or extremely depressed/obtunded after a coma, at home other than intravenous or subcutaneous fluids. You could easily discuss use of subcutaneous (under-the-skin) fluids with your veterinarian and even have your veterinarian show you how to do this. This does not work that well to hydrate a dog but it is better than nothing if you are experiencing financial constraints. Saline enemas are really not going to work well in this situation. There are other anti seizure medications you can discuss with your veterinarian such as potassium bromide, Keppra, zonisamide or gabapentin. These often have fewer side effects than phenobarbital, although for severe seizures phenobarbital does remain one of our core choices. It also sounds like she really must have some medication to control her seizures of she is going to regress to profound seizures. I assume these are long-term seizures and not acute (sudden) in onset. Sudden severe seizures carry a poor prognosis unless the cause is found and treated or removed (if due to ingestion of unusual item such as a lead item). Longer-term epilepsy type seizures are sometimes tough to control but it does always require medication when this serious. There are no homeopathics or at-home care medications that will work in this type of situation.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.