Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has an anal abscess. ..the vet wants to do a $1000

Customer Question

My dog has an anal abscess. ..the vet wants to do a $1000 surgery
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this needed and is the price respectable?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. I assume that they are wanting to remove the anal glands for that price. If that is the case, that is unnecessary. If the abscess hasn't ruptured, then they would need to sedate and lance it. He would then need some antibiotics and pain medications. If already opened and draining, then they just need to flush it (with or without sedation, depending on how painful it is) and put on pain medications and antibiotics. None of that should be even close to $1000. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what should I do? She went to the vet yesterday and got powerful antibiotic shots?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Is the abscess already draining?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't sure if you were going to come back on online, so if the abscess is not draining, I would see if your vet can lance it to let it drain (shouldn't be anywhere near $1000). If already draining, I would allow the antibiotic injection to do its job and make sure it heals. I hope this clears things up. Let me know if it doesn't.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John