Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He was fine until he was Clomicalm after 3 days he began to

Customer Question

He was fine until he was Clomicalm after 3 days he began to vomit just after drinking water. He drank more and and faster then normal. It is 4 days after I stopped the medication. He again ate this AM at 5:00 and he was fine. He drank little water and
was fine. I just took him out and threw stick four times--he came in and drank some water---he threw up immediately again. at the grinning of this he threw w up twice--the past two days has been only once. Other then this he is fine--has an appetite and likes
to play
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now Clomicalm is known to cause nausea and vomiting in sensitive dogs. And it sounds like Oliver may be one of them. Therefore, in situations like this, we can consider pre-treating with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx). Or you could consider speaking to his vet about alternative treatments that may be better suited to his sensitive stomach.
Finally, just in regards ***** ***** care when we do have nausea, I would note that you may want to consider offering Oliver his water in smaller volumes with breaks to ensure he doesn't overdrink and distend his stomach (which is what triggers vomiting). As well, a light diet like rice with boiled chicken, scrambled egg, cottage cheese, or white fish could be offered to soothe his stomach while he is on this treatment.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oliver has been off the Clomicalm for 4 days---any idea how long for medicine to be out of system?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
The half life (where half the drug present is passed from the body) of the drug metabolites have a 32-69 hour range. So, this can last in their system for a good few days. And if their stomach is already uneasy post-vomit, they will be more prone to vomiting again. So, we would still suspect this playing a role and would want to try to break the nausea cycle to settle him.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kathleen J.,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?

nekovet