Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My year old 1/2 boxer 1/2 Great Pyrenees has 3 bumps on her

Customer Question

My year old 1/2 boxer 1/2 Great Pyrenees has 3 bumps on her left elbow and small bumps on chin and hair is gone all of sudden. She seems to be bothered by elbow. Bites it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Heidi and her skin issue. I am happy to help you this evening. It sounds like since these bumps are in different places on her body and she is losing hair and is bothered by her elbow that these are most likely caused by a bacterial infection. Bacterial infections cause bumps such as these with hair loss and skin irritation and some discomfort and can be picked up just from the environment. Usually these types of infections will require oral antibiotics to clear up completely so you should definitely consider having her checked out by your vet and getting medications for her to take. In the mean time you can keep these spots clean with a mild soap and water daily and apply a thin coating of neosporin twice daily to help control the infection. Usually this will not be enough to clear it up but can definitely help. You can give her tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound by mouth every 12 hours for pain if she seems uncomfortable or benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours if itching and causing irritation. they both can be given together also. But again the best chance to have them clear up is oral antibiotics. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thx I wil see my vet tomorrow
You are very welcome. I hope she feels better soon. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions or concerns. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. thank you!
Hi Victoria,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Heidi. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead