Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

My dogs eye has popped out of the socket I cannot afford a

Customer Question

my dogs eye has popped out of the socket I cannot afford a vet what can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you.
I see you have been waiting for an answer for a while, I suspect because experts are unsure how to answer your question to your liking because unfortunately, there is no way for you to treat this at home. ***An eye out of the socket (or a bulging eye suggestive of glaucoma) is a medical emergency and MUST be fixed by a vet.***
While I can certainly understand financial constraints, it is simply not humane to leave him in that condition. Eyes in this condition **will go blind and are very painful to the animal.** I am also very concerned for him as it takes a severe trauma for this to happen, so if it is truly an eye out of the socket he may have other painful, health-threatening conditions as well.
Here are some suggestions that may help finance his care:
- Call around to different vets and get their prices- it may not be as expensive as you think
- As you call around ask those vets if they have payment plans, which can allow you to pay over time and make the cost easier to handle
- Ask them if they accept care credit, which is a credit card used for health care and comes with no interest for the first 6 months (and therefore allows you to pay the bill over time)
- Consider applying for care credit if they accept it, or apply for another credit card, allowing you to pay for his care in monthly payments
- Consider holding a fundraiser: people love helping animals so perhaps a bake sale, garage sale, or something to that effect could allow your community members to help
If despite those suggestions you still cannot afford any veterinary care, then I recommend you consider bringing Captain to a vet and discussing turning him over to the clinic such that they can treat him and prevent suffering.
Again, it is simply inhumane to leave Captain in that condition so I strongly urge you to get him to a vet immediately.
Thank you for your question- I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time.
I hope all turns out ok for both you and Captain,
Dr. Drea
Hi Annie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Captain. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea