brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

Dr. Aaron. Just reading some posts about dogs eating dish

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Aaron. Just reading some posts about dogs eating dish cloths. I think my 70 pound lab ate one today. He threw up approx 8 hours ago, I was at work and heard about it from the baby sitter when I got home. He seemed fine, except he had a minut or two when he seemed to be trying to chew at his hind quarters in a funny way. Then he threw up again a few minutes ago, this is when I realized he had eaten a cloth. There was a bit of s clump in the vomit, so i took a close look (yuck!) and saw tiny bits of coloured thread. It is quite late now and I am wondering if I need to make an emergency trip to the vet or is it safe to wait until morning to see if he makes his usual bowel movement then? Thanks in advance for your advice, Cheryl
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. At this point where he has vomited twice without bringing up the entire towel, it seems likely that it has moved from his stomach into his intestines. Now begins the waiting game to see if it will pass on its own or if he may need surgery.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
We need to watch him for signs of obstruction such as ongoing vomiting, lethargy, abdominal pain/restlessness. If you see any of this, he needs to be evaluated by a local vet immediately.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
In the meantime, I recommend encouraging her to stay as well hydrated as possible. Offer dilute chicken broth or dilute water from a tuna can to make sure he continues to drink well. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.