Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog seems to be having trouble with his . Always looks like he

Customer Question

my dog seems to be having trouble with his butt. Always looks like he is going to poop but then cannot. Also is wiping his butt on the grass (and carpet)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry no one has assisted you and your Cockapoo yet today and that she is having issues with her rear end.
The primary concern with the information provided is her anal glands are impacted or inflamed causing her distress. Often they will chew, scoot, sit or stand abruptly as the primary sign but can also have issues with defecation since they are on the inside of the rectum and can cause distress with defection.
Here is some information on anal glands in dogs:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/anal-glands-in-dogs
You can have your veterinary clinic technician express these or a groomer do them as well to provide relief from her discomfort. If there is no improvement then it is time to increase the fiber in her diet (canned pumpkin, white rice, raw carrots) along with increased leash walks to urge defecation and gi motility but if there is no change within 24 hours I definitely would advise a veterinary exam to rule out obstipation or inability to defecate in your little one and treat it appropriately to provide relief.
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please immediately discontinue any subscription. Do not charge my credit card more than the ONE TIME charge
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am terribly sorry no one assisted you in time to keep you satisfied. If you would also like this charge reversed for this question you can request this as well since you have not yet rated our conversation.
I am forwarding the question to customer service so they can assist you further. The question will be locked by them for a while so I will not be able to see your responses
Good luck to you truly. I hope your little one is feeling better soon!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lilly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman