Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My friends dog has a bony protrusion it looks like on his

Customer Question

Hi my friends dog has a bony protrusion it looks like on his right side if he isn't facing me. I'm worried but have none of the dogs information
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I'm sorry that you're worried about your friend's dog.
It sounds as if what you're seeing may be what's known as a floating rib which basically means that the base of the rib isn't attached to the sternum or breastbone.
This wouldn't be considered a problem or an issue which could lead to any issues for your friend's dog; it's considered a variation of normal.
These ribs tend to bother us more than they bother the dog.
They don't require treatment or intervention either.
Interestingly enough, these ribs are usually located on only one side of the body as opposed to both sides.
If you could manage to take a picture of the area, this might be very helpful in confirming that this is what you're seeing. The following link walks you through the process:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I hope this helps to reassure you; my apologies again for the delayed reply. Deb