Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog been sick days he won't eat or drink anything

Customer Question

My dog been sick for 4 days he won't eat or drink anything and he's barely walking and his pee is dark orange
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Can you tell me what color his gums are?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't sure when you would be back on and wanted to talk to give you some information before I went into surgery. I am very concerned about the dark orange urine. Typically urine turns orange from the breakdown of red blood cells. That can be due to a toxin ingestion, infection or an immune system dysfunction. The latter is the most common. The immune system starts to target the red blood cells and destroy them. This is called autoimmune hemolytic anemia, and it is a deadly disease if not treated promptly. If his gums are pale, I would be certain that is what is going on. I would highly recommend getting him to your vet immediately to get some bloodwork ran, supportive care and get started on medication to combat this. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No his gums are pink, but hes really weak he won't stand up
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
You cannot completely rule out anemia, but it possible that it could be liver failure that is causing the color change as well. Either condition can cause his signs. Either way, he needs to be seen immediately by a vet. His condition does not sound good at all.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tammie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tammie Mayfield. How is everything going?

Dr. John