Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 4yr old Mastiff. This morning I

Customer Question

.I have a 4yr old Mastiff. This morning I discovered he had a regular bm with some redish jelly-like residue, his second bm was just the reddish jelly. He has been in great health, other than vally fever that has been under control for a year. No difference in eating habits, sleep, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kat
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!It appears the expert you had requested is offline and since your question is time sensitive I am responding now. If you would prefer waiting for the expert you requested please let me know and I will opt out to allow you to wait for his return.Unfortunately what you describe is a symptom of colitis or inflammation of the colon and can progress to frank blood which becomes more of an emergency. CLICK HERE for more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) and its symptoms.For now, it would be ideal to have a fecal sample evaluated by your veterinarian to rule out parasites or other causes that require medical intervention. You can also begin:- White rice and boiled lean meat such as chicken which is bland yet bulking and helps healing of the colon and reduce the material you have noted with the past two bowel movements. Add a little water as well to ensure he stays well hydrated- You can also add canned pumpkin to help solidify the stools- Pepcid at 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) over the counter every 12 hours to help calm the stomachI hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope that Rufus is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!