Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has scaly bald patches on his back and side and hair

Customer Question

my dog has scaly bald patches on his back and side and hair loss on his tail also. I give him vitamins and pills for his skin but nothing helps he is 10 yrs old now...hasn't had this problem before
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
My concern for your sweet Disco, especially because of his age, is that he may have a metabolic problem that is causing this or even an autoimmune disease that can cause this. Have your vet run a full blood panel including a thyroid panel to rule out any metabolic issue. If Disco is hypothyroid, treatment can help. There is also a chance of this being an autoimmune disease and a skin biopsy can tell your vet this. There are other diseases such as Cushings disease that can cause this type of skin issue.
Further diagnostics will help find Discos problem so he can get relief with the correct treatment.
Treatment for allergies is as follows:
Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures and blood work which I described above to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****