Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had a large clotting bloody analysis leakage about 2

Customer Question

My dog had a large clotting bloody analysis leakage about 2 weeks ago. $700 of vet tests and IV fluids and they said no clinical cause was found. Today he pooped 3 regular, yet soft stools and then passed several clear jelly-like movements with what looked like "snot loogies" in them. He keeps looking at his but tho something is scaring hI'm and is trying to run away from his butt. Any idea what this is?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is he still straining to pass feces now?
Any sores, lumps, or redness around his rectum?
If you lift his tail or palpate the area, any discomfort?
What type of tests did they do?
Did they check his anal glands?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has not attempted to potty since about 8:30am central. No sores/lumps/redness and lifting and palatine tail area is unremarkable. They did cbc, comp bloodwork, cray initial view, I've catheter, metronidazole 500mg for 7 days, don't think they did analysis glands
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anal glands*
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I had suspected that was what you meant (spell check can be very creative sometimes).
Anyway, the mucus you are seeing (as well as the fresh blood from before) are clues that we have an underlying issue affecting the lower bowel/colon region. This can be related to colitis (which is what the Metronidazole would have been used to treat), whipworm infections, if we have rectal growths/polyps irritating the gut, if they have constipation, or if there is an issue with their anal glands.
And while could cause distress, the fact that he appears afraid of his back end does make me quite suspicious of his glands being an issue (some dogs with impacted or infected glands will turn sharply as if pinched, try to run away from their bums, scoot them on the ground, chew their backsides or anywhere they can reach).
So, those would be our concerns here for Arthur. In this case, if he is very irritated then it would be ideal to have the glands checked and expressed. This is something your vet or some groomers can do for you. Otherwise, I would make sure that he is up to date on his worming, consider a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken or scramble egg) and would also note that you could try him on low dose of Kaolin (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx) to just coat and soothe his irritated GI.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best for wee Arthur,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)