Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 9 week old beagle-chihuahua mix puppy who I have given

Customer Question

I have a 9 week old beagle-chihuahua mix puppy who I have given ProSense roundworm wormer twice. It has 250mg of piperazine per tbls and the dosage is 1/2 tbls per 5 lbs. My puppy only weighs 5 lbs, so she has gotten 2 doses, two weeks apart. She is still pooping roundworms and sliding her bottom occasionally on the floor. There are from 2 to 6 or so worms in each poop and they are approx 1/2 inch long worms. She also has a few that come out of her bottom at night.
My question is whether this medication is working or do I need to get something stronger or different? I'm on vacation this week, but can take her to my vet next week. I got her when she was 5 weeks old. There are not many choices of places to purchase worming products where I am at the beach, but I can try to find a vet here if I need to.
Thank you for your help.
Sarah Tate ***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Sarah. I am sorry to learn your puppy has roundworms. This is very common condition with puppies. I would recommend you try a different dewormer. You can buy Pyrantel (give at label dose) or my favorite which is Fenbendazole (panacur, safeguard) given once a day for 3 days repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy either of these dewormer over the counter in some pet stores or online. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!