Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a ***** ***** who's anal glands get impacted. We learned

Customer Question

I have a ***** ***** who's anal glands get impacted. We learned this many years ago and take her to get them excreated every six weeks. I had to go out of town and thought I had time, but learned from my daughter they ruptured. My daughter is several hours from our vet and cannot take off work. When this happened the first time they just gave antibiotics for her. She weight 12 lbs. I need to know what antibiotic and amount and I am going to order from pet meds. I will take her to our vet when I get back.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about your girl's condition...this is very painful. Unfortunately, antibiotics are only by prescription and this requires a physical exam which we cannot do here at Justanswer. The best thing you can do for now is to apply Betadine to this area every 4 hrs which is available at the pharmacy over the counter. Give your girl aspirin 3/4 of a baby 81 mg aspirin every 12 hrs for the pain until your vet can check her.
Since this happens so often, it is reasonable to remove these glands. They have no important use and this will be curative for this condition and your gal will not have to worry about this again.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****