Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog on saturday went up the stairs weird and im pretty

Customer Question

My dog on saturday went up the stairs weird and im pretty sure he jabbed his paw on the corner of the tile. Under swelled and in between his toes swelled and caused a blood blister. My regular vet said it was trauma. I had to take him to emerg a few hours
later cause he was limping and the swelling was getting worse and the emerg vet took a 5 second look at it and said it was pedal furunculosis and he will never be able to get rid of it. *I* asked him to aspirate it and all that came out was blood mixed with
clear fluid. He gave me 10 days of antibiotics and sent me on my way. What are the chances this is what he claims it to be? Hes 8 years old, had allergies his whole life bt never this problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heres a couple pics.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It is certainly possible that this is pedal furunculosis according to the great pictures you sent me. This can be a recurring disease because it involves the hair follicles and will form a boil or infection. I would nto worry that your sweet Lincoln will continue to get these although he may at some point in time, get another. Your vet exagerated a bit. Once this lesion is healed, Lincoln may or may not get others. Even if he does, treatment is curative for that lesion.
Check this LINK:
http://www.vetinfo.com/furunculosis-in-dogs.html
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's never had these before. I read they fill with pus not blood? He told me he would need antibiotics for life unless I spent hundreds on allergy testing. I don't have that kind of money
THis seems a bit rash....the boils can be filled with blood and serum whereas others will have pus. I would certainly wait to see if Licoln develops any more before starting on testing and lifetime antibiotics. Licoln may never get another even without any form of treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hes an 8 year old dog and has never had issues with his ears or paws with his allergies. How long should he be on antibiotics for? The emerg vet only gave me 10 days but im reading it takes 6-8 weeks of antibiotics to get rid of it. If thats even what it is. Hes going back to my regular vet this afternoon for another opinion from her. She thought it was trauma as did the tech at the emerg vet.
It is good to get another opinion...10 days for this should be enough unless it is proven to be pedal Furunculosis. Your vet will be able to tell.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My regular vet just told me you can't diagnose it just by looking at it he would need a skin biopsy. She told me no antibiotics orally just topical
That is exactly correct. It does seem odd that another vet would tell you this without proof.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed tonight when I went to apply ointment the hole where the needle went in is still oozing light coloured blood and clear fluid. Is that normal? They aspirated it at 11pm last night its now 8:30pm the next night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heres a picture of it tonight after a soak in warm water/epsom salts. Will that hole eventually close? Its still oozing clear fluid/blood.
Yes, this is normal and it is good that it is still draining rather tan closing this fluid in. This will heal well from the inside out so that any possible infection is removed. Continue to apply the ointment and it will heal...good job and Thanks for the picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its now saturday almost a week since the blister was popped. Heres what it looks like today. Its still red and the underside of his paw looks like its turning grey? Maybe just pigment change? Hes getting epsom salt soaks twice a day as well as Viaderm cream 3 times a day. Hes no longer limping that I notice.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lincoln. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
THose pictures look good.....I believe that now the sore has burst, that the healing can start. Any extra fluid will leave by this hole and allow this area to heal. Good job so far!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no hole anymore it's sealed up. When I feel it it feels like scar tissue or something. It's grey in colour maybe just a blast with disabilities clot that formed to heal?
Scar tissue is good....there was no infection since there was no pus and when the area heals, it starts with scar tissue to fill this defect where the blister was located. Keep an ye n it for sure but chances are, this is healing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Earlier I popped the blister with a sterile needle (I am diabetic) and clear fluid mixed with blood came out. 2 hours later it was filled again. I popped it again and made the hole bigger in hopes it will dry out and drain. What am I suppose to do if this blister just keeps filling up? It's the one under his paw.
It will continue to fill because there is a void there..if you can keep the hole open by flushing it with Betadine daily, it will eventually close without any more fluid but this takes time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My vet said something about surgery if it keeps filling up? I woke up this morning after I made the hole bigger before I went to bed and there wasnt much fluid in there. I know my vets going to reem me for opening t myself but I dont have $40 every time it needs to be poke and I did it properly and made sure everything was sterile :)
Good for you...they would have placed sutures to cause the tissue to adhere to the tissue below so there was no place for the fluid to settle...you did great. Just keep it clean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So basically it would be the same thing as when they repaired his ear hematoma he had years ago. Should I not walk him at all? Usually I take him out 5 times a day but since his paw was sore ive decreased that to 3 short walks a day. The emerg vet told me to not let him walk other then to pee and my regular vet said to still walk him just not for long and not as often. If I dont walk him he will chew stuff up in the house when I leave him and I do not own a crate. Id like to keep you updated how this thing heals. Last night when I was gently squeezing the stuff out a little green dried up snot like chunk came out, then the rest was just clear or milky white. Do you think its safe to stop the antibiotic ointment? I worry that its preventing everything from draining.
yes, this is the same idea as an ear hematoma. I would walk him slowly 3-4 times per day but try to cover this area when he is walked with a bandage of sorts after applying the antibiotic ointment...I would still use the ointment until it is healed since it is still open to the outside. I have used pieces of gauze with duct tape to keep the bandage on. This green material is from the sebacsous gland which is an oil gland within the hair follicles....it is normal for this area.
Keep up the good work...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think im going to push my vet for antibiotics. I hate seeing him like this and its obviously bothering him still. I hope she doesnt argue with me about giving me antibiotics (though shes a good vet so I doubt she will). It looks like its getting infected to me. Heres a couple pics.
Thanks for the pics....there is nothig wrong with starting antibiotics just in case. Seems like your guy has been dealing with this for a long time. I cannot tell if it is infected but it is certainly inflamed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to let you know I consulted with my vet and she put him on an antibiotic and we also are rechecking his thyroid as it was slightly low a few months ago. She thinks the paw and his thyroid could be related so we just want to see if its gone any lower. She gave me Clindamycin. $165 to fill at the vet, $27 at the human pharmacy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you interested in seeing how its healing?
Yes, I am very interested....is it healing well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks to be healing well but I am worried about it coming back after I stop the antibiotics? Should I do the 4 week course or the 2 week course? The vet recommended 2 but gave me refills incase I wanted to go longer. Heres pics of it yesterday
That looks so good and healing well. It seems that 2 weeks on the antibiotics should be sufficient. Good job!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If its pedal furniculosis or whatever its called im reading that require 4-6 weeks worth of antibiotics? Im just worried about this coming back I cant afford to keep treating it
It certainly will not hurt to give the remainder of the antibiotics that you have. It is still a question whether this is pedal furunculosis but overkill in this situation will not harm Lincoln.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, its still bruised looking and a bit sensitive to the tough beside where the one blister used to me. Heres a pic. What do you think? I wonder if he did break that toe and thats why hes sensitive.
It does appear a bit bruised but this may be the healing process. Give it a bit more time to see how this is healing. It may still be tender to teh touch but I doubt that he broke his toe....
Hang in there and thanks for the pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hes off the antibiotics now. However when I feel where the one blister used to be I feel a very very small round pebble type thing in there. I am unsure if im feeling a small stone or scar tissue? I didnt feel it the other day when I felt around. Im just worried its going to get infected again and this will be a never ending dilemma :(
Its hard to know for sure but this trauma to this area would invariably cause scar tissue formation that could feel very hard. All you can do is watch this area for any evidence of a problem. With any luck, this will resolve. Hang in there...you are doing great for your sweet Licoln!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pebble thing I felt is now gone. However there seems to be scar tissue or maybe a cyst in between his toes? Heres a pic of it you can see I pressed underneath to raise it so I could take a pic. Its hard (not squishy), hes not limping and when his foot is normal it is under the toe (the underside is still bruised). Infection starting again or just scar tissue forming from when he whacked his paw on the tile stairs which is what started this whole darn thing? Hes been on antibiotics for 2 weeks this tuesday coming up. P.S I just clicked the add files button and it doesnt do anything so I will try to add the pic again tomorrow. Its basically the size of a pea though instead of round its oval shaped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heres the pic of it. Wouldnt let me upload it before but seems to let me now
It is hard to tell from your picture but the fact that Lincoln is not licking at it and he is not lame on it, I would assume this is scar tissue from the damage that was done previous. All you can do is watch it and see if a anything happens. In most cases, this will resolve without any further treatment.
Good luck!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just an update. I found out why the underside of the paw was bruised looking. Today a small hole opened up and I made it a bit bigger and pulled out the tiniest pebble. Its red but doesnt look infected to me maybe a *bit* infected. The hole is about 1/4 inch around will this close up on its own? Its not deep just goes under one layer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the best pic I could get
Thanks for the picture,...it sure seems like this hole , now that the foriegn body has been removed, will heal. Clean it of course and apply an antibiotic creme and keep an eye on it...that is really all you can do for now. good luck!