Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a estimated 2 year old terrior mix. He has been fine

Customer Question

I have a estimated 2 year old terrior mix. He has been fine all day...but suddenly his back legs went limp. He can't stand and his body is very limp. I massaged his legs and spine...he can barely stand, but I forced him to walk....he did, but in a very "drunken" like state. he fell/layed down as He entered the house. He doesnt appear to be in pain, and will let me touch and move him. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Your terrier is showing symptoms of myelopathy - spinal cord disorder. Our small dogs are most at risk of degenerative disk disease - a "slipped disk" - and if enough pressure is applied to the spinal cord by a disk that has ruptured or prolapsed, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), paresis (weakness), and paralysis can result. The sooner his spinal cord is decompressed , the better his prognosis for recovery. It would be best that an on-call vet attend to him at your earliest convenience. Potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medication is given +/- a skeletal muscle relaxer +/- a narcotic analgesic. Some of these dogs are surgical candidates - especially when deep pain perception is lost in the hind legs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Out vet is closed. Should I take him to an emergency vet, or would it be OK to wait until early tomorrow morning. He does not appear to be in pain...just very lethargic
Time is really of the essence in these dogs. I recommend the ER for him.