Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My little dog ate heart worm that was meant big dog

Customer Question

My little dog ate heart worm that was meant for the big dog who weighs about 55 lbs, he weighs about 12 lbs x 30 mins ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Fortunately, heartworm prevetative medications have very low active ingredient in them. So, that is a positive relative to our concern for any toxicity to the organs. However, could it still predispose to vomiting or diarrhea? Yes, that is possible.Also, generally, we are careful not to give heartworm preventatives to a pet without heartworm testing first. Why?There is a very low risk for a reaction to the medication if a pet was already positive with heartworm disease. Now, if your little dog is already on his own heartworm medication, than this is not a concern at all.So, I see no indication for emergency treatment, but I would keep an eye out for any gastrointestinal distress or labored breathing/coughing for next 12 hours. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You don't need to know the dose or strength of the meds active ingredients ?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
NopeMost heartworm preventatives are based on a body weight range. So, for example, I already know the typical amounts for pets who would be getting a drug if weighing 10-20 pounds, 20-40 pounds, 40-60 pounds, etc...Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
This rule also applies for most of the heartworm preventatives like heartgard plus, interceptor, quadriguard, trifexis. Hope that extra information helps.I will be traveling for about 30 minutes, but if you need any further assistance to ensure I have satisfactorily answered your question, just reply, and i'll get back to you.Dr. Andy