Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 3yr old female Rotti has an eye discharge, what can I do

Customer Question

My 3yr old female Rotti has an eye discharge, what can I do to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear Kyra has an eye issue!I can give you basic guidelines for the eye but if there is any haziness to the cornea, it is not improving or is worsening, the eye is "swollen" in comparison to the other eye then please have her evaluated to ensure that further treatment is not necessary- Saline flush for contact lenses available at your local grocery or pharmacy to flush the eye out twice daily- No rubbing! Rubbing can cause an ulceration to the cornea and can cause further damage so if necessary purchasing a cone or e-collar at your local poetaster- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help reduce itch of the eye. This might cause mild sedation but can help if there is an allergic component but also reduces the itchiness of the eye. If she is 75 pounds for example she would get THREE adult 25 mg tablets- A moist rag put in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied to the eye for ten minute intervals to help with the redness and itching if she will allow itI hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and see how Kyra's eye is healing? Were my suggestions helpful to you?
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!