Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

I have a dog who has not seemed right today and now she is

Customer Question

I have a dog who has not seemed right today and now she is keeping her eyes closed as if the light is bothering her. She grabbed something and ate it on our walk this morning and I am concerned it could have had something bad in it. Do the eyes seem to be a symptom?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for your question! Sorry Lucky isn't well...Squinting/closing of the eyes is a sign of pain or irritation. This can happen as a result of direct injury to the eyes (such as corneal ulcers / abrasions caused by debris getting into the eyes, etc), inflammation of the eyes caused by something else (such as glaucoma) or pain somewhere else in the head/face.Having eaten something on the walk doesn't seem likely to be associated with the eye issue. I think there is a primary problem with the eyes themselves and it should be investigated. See if you can take a look at her eyes (gently part her eyelids and take a look); see if the pupils are equal size and are responsive to light, if the eyes look bloodshot, etc. If there is anything obviously wrong, as above, I would recommend taking her to the nearest vet ER tonight; otherwise, if the squinting still continues tomorrow, I would have her seen then...Hope this helps!!