How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my 6 year old Yorkie Poo may have gotten about

Customer Question

Hi
I think my 6 year old Yorkie Poo may have gotten about 20 chocolate covered raisins from the trash. I can't find the box anywhere and I am not sure if he got the raisins or not from the trash can (as we didnt see the door to where we kept the trash was open). Honestly, (I can't remember if i threw out the raisins earlier today and the garbage man came early so i cant check)or if in fact they were sitting on top of the trash can in our pantry.
I read that chocolate and raisins are bad for dogs. Do I need to be concerned? at what point should I be concerned and what symptoms should I look for if he did in fact eat them. He has eaten mushrooms in the past outside and had to get his stomach pumped and has a had surgery to get bladder stones removed, he does have seasonal allergies and takes glucomasime daily. Otherwise he is healthy. I don't want something affecting his liver etc. This happened about 45 minutes ago and I have been searching for the box of chocolate covered raisins.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
1- How much does your dog weigh?
2- How many ounces of chocolate did she eat?
3- Type of chocolate (milk, dark, etc.)?
4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
5- Do you have any idea how much raisin was in the chocolate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiHe ways 15.3 pounds, I think there were about 20 milk chocolate small raisins in the box.They were raisinet brand I don't think I currently have any hyrdogen peroxide in the house but I could get some. I am not really sure if he ate them or not as I can't remember when I threw them out.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
So, you don't know how long has it been since he ate them? Or, you are certain it was within the last 45 minutes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its probably been about 1 hour or a little over now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if he actually got some or not
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, there is no way of knowing if he got into them or not for the first couple of hours. Both, chocolate and raisins are toxic. In this case it is best to err on the side of caution. I would recommend to move quickly and pick up hydrogen peroxide to try to induce vomiting within the hour. This is what you can do once you have the peroxide 3%....
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Move quickly and induce vomiting. To induce vomiting give him 1/2 (half) tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally. 2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.3- If he does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, drinking excessively, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scrappy. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter