Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I had a Pekingese diagnosed with addisons through an acth test

Customer Question

I had a Pekingese diagnosed with addisons through an acth test at 4 years old. She received synthetic cortisol every month for over 8 years, until passing away last month from pneumonia. I'm trying to get over my guilt that perhaps I should've done more for her throughout her life to treat the addisons. What is the average lifespan for a toy breed with addisons? Did I miss something?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am so sorry to hear about Gertie and her passing. I am happy to help you this evening. You absolutely did the right thing. You treated her appropriately. You did exactly the right thing. I treat many addisonian patients and this is how we manage them. So you should not feel guilty of that. She passed away from pneumonia which there is not a lot you can do to prevent that unfortunately. Unfortunately when dogs come down with a disease such as addisons disease or even cushings disease or any systemic disease this tends to make them more prone to other problems due to their bodies immune system not being 100% due to disease. Also it does reduce their life span no matter what you do. On average once they are diagnosed with addisons you can expect 2 to 7 years with treatment. So You got 4 more years with her which is right in the middle of the expected life expectancy which I believe is very good. You should find comfort in knowing that you did the right thing and you got 4 years out of her and that is good. I know you would want more but there is nothing you could have done differently. Find comfort in knowing you did absolutely everything right and loved her deeply. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Hi Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gertie. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead