Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our fourteen year old ***** ***** terrier is gurgling and

Customer Question

Our fourteen year old ***** ***** terrier is gurgling and her tummy at times goes very high and then collapses she has not eaten for three days and the vet will be here in our home tomorrow at 11 AM in the meantime my husband and I are have her here with us in our bed spending time through the night with her but we would like to know if giving her a pain medication you know human pain medication that is OK we did the research on the Benadryl which should call him or as long as it's not
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are making a bad situation worse by saying hi here I am dr so and so. Then you take my money my credit card information for five dollars down and then get my answer and you'll charge me 19 and then I give you that and then I have to choose from three different packages I don't want that I want my answer to the question I asked for $19 is what I want and I wanted right now like you said
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is very upsetting as this dog is our life our love our heart and we chose to see Caleb from you because there you are nice and your outfit on the web the vet is in and our vet with is not available until tomorrow at 11 we don't have that kind of money to just throw away
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.I understand that it is very upsetting for you to see your girl in pain and not eating for 3 days.Benadryl (diphenhydramine) may make her sleepy, but doesn't do much for pain and may upset her empty stomach further.Her pain sounds related to her stomach being upset. Thus she may benefit more from a medication to soothe her stomach.At home now you can give an acid reducer, either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and may help her feel better. It may take an hour or so to see an improvement. If they help you can use them as directed as needed until her veterinarian can examine her as they are very safe medications.You can offer her low salt chicken or beef broth to drink a couple hours after giving one of the acid reducers. These will keep her hydrated and replace some electrolytes.Please let me know if you have any further questions.