Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My chocolate lab/pit just had a seizure(convulsions, excessive

Customer Question

My chocolate lab/pit bull just had a seizure(convulsions, excessive salivating, tachycardia) that lasted about 4 min at the most. Shortly after that (4) min.he started to have another that seemed to start in his neck upper-body but stopped. This happened after he came in from going to the bathroom. He was outside for about 5 min..He did not vomit, does not seem agitated, and is laying down right now. We treated him for flees about a week ago.He seems to have a snsitivity to flees. Hw rips out all his hair and chews on himself and his tail. He is 9 years old. My son is concerned that he has rabies even though he has not been bit, scratched, or come in contact with any other animals.His rabies is past due by 1 year. our vet is closed and we've called 8 vets that won't let us make payment plans.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How old is he? What flea medication did you use?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
The only way this could be rabies is if he was bitten by a rabid animal in the last 6 months or less. Rabies is only transmitted by a rabid animal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is nine years old and the flea medication used was sentry fipropguard max for dogs. The medication is for dogs weighing 89-132 lbs and he weighs 95.4 lbs.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Then I do not think it is the Fiproguard, and rabies is unlikely.
The most common reasons for older dogs to have a seizure are: high blood pressure, stroke, low blood sugar, liver disease, low thyroid, and worst of all, a brain tumor.
If I could, I would do a good physical exam, check his blood pressure and do some basic blood tests. If you cannot afford these, just start with a good physical exam.
Here is a website that lists places that can help with vet bills:
http://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills
Let me know what else I can help with, and how he is doing.