Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

5 month old male chihuahua has dandruff and thinning of fur,

Customer Question

5 month old male chihuahua has dandruff and thinning of fur, lives with littermate that is fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I can't correspond with customers outside of this venue. Can you upload a photo of him to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
It should be relatively straightforward to determine why he's so scaly and has thinning fur. Skin scrapings need to be performed in an attempt to identify the presence of the Demodex mange mite - a common cause of his appearance - and a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of his skin surface) performed to see if there are abnormal numbers of either bacteria or yeast (Malassezia) that need to be treated appropriately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer,, I didn't think mange as he does not scratch or is bothered at all by it, plus his sister whe is with him at all time's has perfect skin and coat
Thank you for the additional information. Demodectic mange may not be pruritic (itchy) and it isn't contagious. Sarcoptic mange is the really pruritic mange that owners and other pets contract.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?