petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have a 13 year old Yorkie, Cushing's Disease years

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old Yorkie, Cushing's Disease for 5 years now. She does take Trilostane. There are times she is doing very well, times where I think she is not going to make it. Is this normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
.......
When you say that you think she is not going to make it, are you referring to her appetite or are there other symptoms as well?
....
When was the last time her cortisol levels were tested with an ACTH test?
......
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cookie has had an ACTH test within the last few months. ( I also have a 13 year old male unrelated with Cushing's Disease) Cookie at times eats very good, sometimes she doesn't want to eat at all. I took her to the emergency clinic in Columbus as she would not eat and she was actually walking and falling over. I thought she was dying. The clinic thought she had brain damage and wanted her seen by a neurologist in the morning. I paid the emergency clinic $600 and brought her home and took her to the vet that normally sees her. The vet said she had too much medicine in her. She was put on prednisone. It seems when she takes her medicine she has problems. Does there come a time to quit taking the medicine.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. Some dogs exhibit appetite reduction when on Trilostane unrelated to the level of cortisol in their system and in other cases it is the low level of cortisol that makes them feel poorly. If your said she had too much medicine in her and she improved when given prednisone, it would be wise to consider decreasing the dose of trilostane. If a dog is well regulated, it is not normal to have these ups and downs in appetite or episodes of weakness. Once on medication however, it is usually continued for life. If she continues to lose weight however, it may be worthwhile having your vet evaluate to make sure there is not a secondary disease occurring. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z