Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

My miniature Dachshund jumped off the deck last night, yelped

Customer Question

My miniature Dachshund jumped off the deck last night, yelped and is favoring her front right paw. It is not swollen and she will let me touch it and move it around without seeming to be in pain, however she will not put much weight on it. What could be wrong? What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you!
I am sorry to hear that your pup hurt herself! Certainly these things can happen and often it's just a strain or sprain- a mild injury that will heal on its own over time. However, the fact that she is reluctant to put weight on it is concerning and suggests it could be a more severe injury such as a fracture to one of the bones in the leg or a torn ligament or tendon. For this reason I do recommend a trip to her vet so they can assess the leg and potentially (depending on what they find) take an x-ray of the leg to check for fractures or other injuries. Her vet can then make the most appropriate treatment recommendation and could also prescribe pain medication.
In the meantime, it's important that she rests the leg. In other words, continue what you're doing and keep her crated. Strict crate rest will help the leg heal as use of the leg can prevent proper healing. Strict rest means absolutely NO running, jumping, or stairs with cage rest and only short, leashed, walks outside to use the bathroom. How long you need to do this depends on the injury so it's hard for me to say, but usually it takes at least a few weeks for healing before they can be removed from cage rest.
If you can localize where in the leg is injured, you may also alternate cold and warm compresses. Warm compresses help increase blood flow and healing, while cold compresses help decrease inflammation and pain. Apply each for a maximum of 15 minutes at a time with a minimum of 15 minutes in between each compress. Be sure to apply a towel or cloth between the compress and your pup to prevent skin injury.
Thank you for your question- I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time.
All the best, *****
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! We did take her to the vet- it was fractured.
You are very welcome! I am sorry to hear that it's fractured but with medical attention I am sure she will do great!
Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions as she continues to recover from her injury. And please also remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time.
All the best!
Dr. Drea