Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has diarrhoea and blood in it, don't know what to do,

Customer Question

My dog has diarrhoea and blood in it, don't know what to do, vets want 68pound for a sample but I haven't got that money they never told me I had to pay when they requested I done a sample
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much blood is she passing? A spoonful, more, less?
How long has she been on treatment?
Have they tried worming her yet?
Have you discussed your financial concerns with the vet?
Are you on benefits at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More than a spoonful, she has been wormed monthly. She been on treatment since Saturday. I get housing benefit.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, I must note that it is always important to make your vet aware of your budget for treating your pet. This way they can make the best choices on treatment and diagnostics to get to the root of her issues but also avoid spending more then you can comfortably afford. And if they are suggesting fecal testing that is too expensive (which lab tests can be), then it is best to be up front about this. Because in that case, they may be able to do some of the testing (ie checking for protozoa or worms) in the practice to keep costs down or consider an alternative treatment based on their clinical findings so far.
Otherwise, since you are on housing benefits, I would note that you are eligible to be seen by the PDSA. This may mean going to their hospital but if there is no one near by, then you may be able to get her treatment at her vets +/- this testing done under their Pet Aid Scheme. You can check for the PDSA nearest to you and check your eligibility @ http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-near-me
Otherwise, I would note that the RSPCA hospitals (http://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/yourlocal) can also offer low cost aid for situations like this. So that too could be an option to getting her care and this testing at a reduced cost.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )