Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is suffering from scrotal dermatitis. This occurs

Customer Question

hello, my dog is suffering from scrotal dermatitis. This occurs every summer and I want to kn ow the best way to treat it. he can smell his antibiotics in the food and he will not eat it. Any suggestions on treatment and delivery of medication?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Does he have just redness or signs of bacterial infection (moistness, pustules, scaling skin, pimples, crusts)?
What antibiotic has been used in the past?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr.,
His scrotum is super red and irritated. It looks very waxy or wet and shiny in appearance. He is continuously licking it and has a hard time laying down and also having bowel movements. I assume that having a bowel movement is irritating the area. He is drinking water and urinating fine. The antibiotic that he has used is cephalaxin. He is a pure bread German Shepherd. I have tried giving him some left over antibiotic with Benadryl but he smells it in his food. What should I do with all of this. Really worried.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, if he is licking this region, then we do find systemic/oral treatments the best option. This is because licking off topical treatments will be counter productive for settling this for him. Still, if he is too smart for his own good and refuses to take Cephalexin orally, then I would note that you could speak to his vet about the long acting injectable version of this drug (Convenia). It is a wee bit expensive (though similarly priced to a 2 week course of the oral antibiotics) but will last for 2 weeks and would completely get around this issue. And if he is very itchy, they can also give a long acting steroid injection to soothe his skin at the same time.
Otherwise, if we have to stick to oral tablets, then we could crush the antibiotic, mix it with water and administer orally using a turkey baster or syringe (just by sliding either between his teeth and cheek and squirting it in.
Further to that, I do want to note some supportive care you can use topically here. First, since licking is just going to make it worse (as his saliva is full of bacteria and will just increase the infection), we may need to put an ecollar on him. This can be purchased from your vets or a pet store. Otherwise, you can put a pair of boxer shorts on him (reversed so there is a hole for his tail). That way we can protect the area from self harm and potentially safely use topical treatment for him.
In regards ***** ***** treatment, we usually will bathe these areas with a diluted antiseptic like chlorohexidine or betadine. Or in a pinch, we can even use salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) to cleanse the area. You will want to do this at least 2-3 times a day and dry it thoroughly. Afterwards, you can apply Neosporin on the area twice daily. And since it is very itchy, you can alternate with OTC hydrocortisone cream to reduce inflammation, irritation, and itchiness.
Overall, for his situation, systemic treatment would be best. Still, if tablets are a nightmare, then consider speaking his vet about those long acting injections as they would be a means to address this and save you from having to wrestle with him when trying to get him better.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Your advice is taken seriously and I will get him into see the vet and ask for the shot version of antibiotic. He will not let me apply anything and I am not a big enough girl to restrain him!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
Oh, he does sound like a handful! :)
In that case, again, using the long acting injections are likely our best means of getting around his refusal to be treated and getting his skin settled despite his mischief.
All the best, *****
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet