Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is vomiting frothy liquid and egg white shimmy vomit.

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting frothy liquid and egg white shimmy vomit. Is shaking all over like she is chilled and a very loose stool. I took her temp and it was almost 102. She's laid around all day and seems figity, like she doesn't know where she wants to lay down. Couldn't sleep, very restless.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is very quiet now. Has not eaten much yesterday, nothing today. The word is slimy vomit. She vomited once and it was frothy like you would start whipping egg whites, then vomited soon after and it was just like egg whites. Shaking like she is cold. She weighs 8.5 pounds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting off my phone now. Please send an email. I've got to get some sleep.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is the injection site very sore for her?
Can she keep food or water down?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not actual diarrhea, just very loose stools. The injection site is almost gone now. Was quite large from the injection, but now about the size of a pea. She won't eat, but she drinks water frequently. Her gums are pink, but she can't seem to get situated in any position. She seems frigidity. I think she is almost asleep then she gets up quickly looking for a different position to lay in. She is 8.5 pounds and my life. I'm a widow and 68 years old and she is everything to me. I've kept up her shots, she is on worm prevention pills and I take good care of her. She has allergies because she licks her paw constantly and her little eyes water to the point she gets drainage from her eyes. She got fixed at the age of 1 so she wouldn't ever get pregnant. She is definitely a house dog, but I do take her out on a leash for a walk occasionally. She is a very picky dog on eating. She did have some rib bones to chew on a day or two ago. Could that be something that could be causing her problems?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't seem like her belly hurts when I press on it. She shakes like she is freezing and I've got a heating pad on low on her to help her get warm. I don't know if the shaking is from being cold or not. It seems like it is from being cold, but not for sure. She really was squirming to get out of our bed and when I let her out she went in the front room and thats when she vomited. The first vomit was fo***** *****ke you just started beating egg whites. The 2nd vomit was just like egg whites. When I got in there she was laying on the rug and not moving. I picked her up and she was shaking all over so I wrapped her up and laid her down by me but she seemed frigidity and wouldn't lay quietly. She almost went to sleep then she jumped up from her sleepy position and kept doing that like something was causing her to jump up. She acts like she doesn't know what to do with herself. I'm so worried!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to go to bed. I've been up all night with her and I have somewhere I have to go in the morning and need some sleep. Please write me what you think and I'll read it when I get up in the morning. I'm so tired right now. Thank You and I hope it isn't serious.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I am glad to hear that the swelling is abating, since that suggests it was just a injection reaction and nothing more worrisome.
Still, I am concerned that she is so nauseous that she is still vomiting and cannot eat. As well, the mention of this bone is quite worrisome. Hopefully she hasn't eaten any of it (as blockages and GI damage would become concerns), but even so just chewing on it could introduce bacterial infection. Otherwise, if that is a red herring, we do have to be appreciate that these signs could also fit with a gastritis (viral or bacterial) pancreatitis, be secondary to metabolic or organ issues, or due to her having eaten something she should not have.
Just to note, she isn't likely cold but instead shivering in small breeds can be a sign of fever or a non-specific sign that they feel unwell. As well, if she is struggling to get comfortable, this does suggest that her stomach is very upset and causing her discomfort.
Now Sucralfate is a good gastroprotectant, but it sounds like it hasn't helped enough for her. Therefore, I would note that you could also consider trying her with an antacid now. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet#.VE4NVBYYBaQ)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx).
This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset gut signs.
Once that is on board, we can then try her with an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled. And if you do think she ate a bit of bone, you can add a spoon of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) to push out that through the gut. As well, you can also mix a bit of cat hair ball medication into her food to again encourage any thing stuck to slip through the GI and keep moving along.
Finally, just since she is a small dog, I do just want to mention how to check her hydration. To do so, you can check whether her eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any signs of dehydration when checking this, then it is a red flag that we'd want her vet involved to address this and not let it progress for her.
Overall, her signs are telling us that she is still very nauseous. Therefore, I would advise the above for her at this stage to settle her stomach. If you find that she doesn't settle in the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want to consider ringing her vet about this. They can potentially try her with a stronger treatment but if there is a chance of a bit of bone having been eaten, we need to have them palpate her belly +/- xray to make sure nothing is caught. Depending on their findings, they may just need to treat her with alternative antibiotics and anti-vomiting medications to help settle her stomach and back to feeling like herself.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cindy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abby. How is everything going?

nekovet