Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has off the scale bun and alkp & alt what can this

Customer Question

my dog has off the scale bun and alkp & alt what can this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got bloods done 13/06/2015 and her urea was 24.3mmol/l and crea 316umol/ alt >1000u/l alkp 1673 u/l tbil 24 umol/l she then had an ultrasound 19/06/2015 that showed everything was normal they repeated the billiruben blood and that came back normal, first they thought she had gastro and sent me home i went back a further 4 times begging for help and each time was sent away, the final time they shot her with quartazone and that helped her a little bit, i went to another vet for a second oppinion and he ran another blood test again 03/07/2015 this test then showed alkp 457 u/l, alt 145 u/l, urea >46.4 crea 1071 umol/l & phos >5.19 mmol/l, she has since then been at the hospital on IV and another blood test done 07/07/2015 and has now gotten worse her alkp is >2000u/l, alt off the scales, urea 46.4 mmol/l & crea 862 umol/l, i dont get it! please help me, bella is my world
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
While a complete urinalysis is necessary to clarify better what's going on, it's important to recognize that both kidney and liver failure are present in Bella. Her kidney tests are egregiously elevated; the BUN is so elevated that it exceeds the limits of the machines that read the BUN result and her creatinine is at a level incompatible with life. Her liver tests are also egregiously elevated and exceed the limits of the machines that read those test results.
The working diagnosis is multiple organ failure (MOF) which doesn't tell us why that has occurred but only that our patient is critically ill. Both primary chronic renal failure affecting the rest of Bella's body and a cancer (lymphoma, e.g.) affecting both organs need to be considered in such a patient.
If you have a urinalysis to post, please do so. It's an important test to see when such findings as you've reported are present. I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers outside of this venue.