Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

My dog was skunked. How do I get the smell off him and out

Customer Question

My dog was skunked. How do I get the smell off him and out of my house? I washed him in dawn and he smelled worse. My whole house reeks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your smelly predicament. I may be one of the world's foremost experts on how to remove skunk smell from dogs, as my dog probably qualifies for the Guinness Book of World Records in having been skunked at least 15 times - he seems to actually like it! While there are many approaches and products available to removing the skunk musk, the best I've found is Woolite - the original formula. Use the Woolite as a shampoo, wetting him with warm to hot water, pouring on the Woolite, working it into a lather in his fur, then rinsing well. As for your house, unless he's rubbed himself on the carpets, furniture drapes, etc., the smell should subside from the air fairly quickly. A fan helps to move out the smelly air. If you can locate any specific spots where he's rubbed off the skunk musk, you can use Woolite and water to clean those, if they're color-safe. (test a small area to be sure). I suspect that no one else on this site can empathize with you as I can, but take heart, I speak from experience when I tell you that this too will pass! If you should have any further questions, please let me know. Kind regards, *****
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mac. How is everything going?

Dr. Bob