Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog came into very calm head down, very unusual. Red Healer

Customer Question

My dog came into very calm head down, very unusual. Red Healer mix, extremely active. He has been snake bit before but shows no swelling on his face as in the past . Small blood spot on his mussel . Denton county texas. Copper heads common, some water maccisons in the area. as many Racons but no skunk smell,in then area . Please advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. This doesn't sound like a snakebite to me. It sounds more like neck pain. This is common with disc herniations in the neck. The cervical spine is a common place for disc herniations in dogs. The diagnosis is usually made by palpating the neck. We stretch it up, down, left, right. They usually resent to one of the movements or they may cry out of fall down when we stretch it a certain way. The treatment is usually with pain meds (Rimadyl + Gabapentin + Tramadol) and crate confinement for 2-4 weeks. In dogs with partial paralysis, I'll send them to a veterinary neurologist for an MRI. As long as they are still ambulatory, they usually do well with pain meds and rest. Within 2-4 weeks, they can slowly get back to normal activity and they should be off the meds within the first 1-2 weeks. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.