Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My female lab has been in heat 3 weeks. She stopped

Customer Question

My female lab has been in heat for about 3 weeks. She stopped bleeding on Friday. On Sunday and today she will not eat or bàre!y driñk her water. She hàs been paiting and trembling all day Sunday. She woke this morning sneezing like 20 times. She has stopped the paiting and trembling but she had blood in her urine today. She just lays down in a days. She has not cried either day but she did bark once today when there was a knock on the door. I'm lost I've never owned a female dog so I don't know if this is normal. She is getting fixed on the 27th of this month.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I'm sorry your are experiencing this problem you are right to be concerned. It can be normal for some dogs to have heats that are "heavy" with bleeding for a long period of time. However what is not normal is the fact that she is having bloody urine, panting and having this low of an energy level. We cannot wait for her to be fixed, she must see the vet tomorrow. Hopefully it's a minor respiratory infection or urinary tract infection, both of these problems can cause these symptoms and are easily treated if caught early. Even though the timing doesn't fit, the symptoms also fits a uterine infection, this can be VERY serious even life threatening if we wait too long to diagnose it. This likely isn't an emergency right now but she must be seen in the morning, these symptoms are certainly not normal for heat.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan