Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our dog, Bailey became ill 6 days ago. It began with tremors

Customer Question

Our dog, Bailey became ill 6 days ago. It began with tremors and then vomiting. We immediately took her to a veterinary hospital where she was admitted and still remains. Eventually her vomiting became regurgitating. After 35 hours of vomiting/regurgitating, a tube was placed to remove excess fluid from her stomach. She developed pneumonia from aspirating on her vomit and a stomach ulcer (the diagnosis of an ulcer was determined because blood was found in the fluid they removed from her stomach). Small mineralized substances were found in her small intestine, but after X-Rays, CBCs, and Ultrasounds, a cause has not been determined and a blockage was ruled out. Bailey removed her tube herself last night, but they were going to remove it this morning.
She began to dramatically improve and was scheduled to be sent home today. We went to the hospital to get her. While going over the discharge papers, she regurgitated for the first time since the 3rd. They assumed it was because of too much water intake. We continued with the discharge process and she vomited five more times and they readmitted her. I requested that an internal specialist see her at their hospital. She is scheduled for an endoscopy tomorrow. Bailey did not come in contact with poison, inappropriate food, etc. She does take Apoquel. I’m wondering if this all started with an ulcer to begin with? Any suggestions as to what the cause of this may be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry for the long wait. This is a tough case. I just logged on now and saw it. I would be really worried about some type of obstruction in the intestines. This may not be a foreign body, it could be something called an intussusception or an intestinal tumor or some other cause of the obstruction. The endoscopy may find it, but it may not go in far enough to see the problem. I typically recommend surgical exploratory once I have more than 2-3 days of vomiting and no known cause. This way I can run the entire intestine and find the problem. If the problem is found, then it's fixed at the same time. The surgery is diagnostic as well as therapeutic in that case. If I can't find the problem, then I take biopsy samples of the stomach, lymph nodes, intestine and potentially the liver or spleen. In these dogs, the surgery is a diagnostic procedure. My main worry here is that there is a calcified intestinal tumor that is causing an obstruction in the gut. With the continued vomiting, normal bloodwork/ x-rays and mineralized look- that would be my main worry. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?