Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 6 yr old yorkie is vomiting clear fluid, she is not eating

Customer Question

My 6 yr old yorkie is vomiting clear fluid, she is not eating and is really week. She also feels really light as if she has lost weight. I can't really afford a vet is there something I can do at home to help her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been going o for about 4 days now . The only other symptom that I have noticed is slightly shivering. And she is very weak. She weighed 9 lbs. No other medical conditions . She goes out side I'm not sure if she got into anything. We have a fenced in yard so I'm not constantly watching her when she is in the back yard. We have another yorkie and she is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also she maybe constipated also.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is she straining trying to defecate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is shivering and soaking wet she looks like she is going to die soon idiot know what to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that was a typo I didn't call you an idiot on purpose. I was meaning to say I don't know what to do.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am going to opt out and allow another expert to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh no I'm sorry that was an typo I was not trying to call you an idiot I just realized it was in the message please sir I reallllllllly need your help
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to have been abandoned and that just won't do. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I can be of much help because managing a vomiting dog at home can be a fool's errand; in other words, we can't be sure that anything we administer orally to such a patient will stay down.
It's reasonable to administer supplemental fluids in the form of an infant fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte (or generics) but it's nigh impossible to satisfy the entire fluid deficit expected in such a patient as Zoe. That fluid requirement approximates 1 ounce of fluid for every pound of body weight daily. You can also administer over the counter dimenhydrinate (Dramamine/Gravol) at a dose of 2-4 mg/lb every 8 hours in an attempt to control nausea and vomiting. Absent knowing what you're treating, however, that's about all that can be done at home. If Zoe continues to be as symptomatic as you've stated, I encourage your begging, borrowing, or stealing to have her attended to by her vet. Her symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder and so her vet will need to thoroughly examine her and perhaps perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound in order to clarify what's going on with Zoe.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.