petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My golden retriever has developed a pocket of fluid behind

Customer Question

My golden retriever has developed a pocket of fluid behind his left ear, it is not hurtful to him and he shows no other signs of illness or injury. the heat has been very hot in our area and I wonder if its a swollen sweat gland or something like that. It seems to be disapating this past 24 hours.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
............
Dogs do not really have sweat glands so to speak. There are salivary glands under ear/jaw area, but they would tend to feel more firm to the touch, as would a lymph node which is also located in that area of the head. Sometimes a dog can experience injury or trauma to the salivary duct which cal lead to a cyst-like formation. Another possibility would be a seroma or serum filled cyst like a blister, which can form after a trauma. Another possibility could be an abscess, but these are usually painful.
........
If it is not bothering him and seems to be resolving, I would say it would be fine to monitor for a few days more, but I would definitely have it evaluated if it is not gone by then.
.....
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z