Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our 14 year old ***** ***** has been vomiting brownish clear

Customer Question

our 14 year old ***** ***** has been vomiting brownish clear liquid for two days. Eats very limit, drinks water, does not appear to have stomached distress when touching his stomach. Was at the vet on July 2 and provided pain meds, xrays proved negative but an ultrasound is scheduled later this week to explore potential irritation around the liver or intestines. Liver was slightly elevated at 400 but not cause for concern? After vet visit, dog began to eat a little food of a different diet (lamb versus his usual chicken and fish) but now is not eating but drinking only water. Plan to visit vet again this afternoon. Based on the general information, what should we be looking for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow is vomiting clearish brown material, and eating very little but I am pleased to hear that he is drinking and keeping himself hydrated.I suspect that his elevated liver enzyme was his Alkaline phosphatase which is not a liver specific enzyme, and can increase due to old age hyperplasia, cortisone release (stress or Cushing's disease), or any sort of inflammation in the abdomen.Given his normal screening blood tests and radiographs I think an ultrasound is a great idea. That will give you information about organ architecture, and allow them to look for subtle changes in his organs and intestines, especially changes in the pancrease, stomach lining and intestines which can indicate infiltrative cancer or inflammatory bowel disease. It may also allow them to collect ultrasound guided needle aspirates or biopsies, which could give you a diagnosis.At his age cancer is definitely possible, but so is inflammatory bowel disease.Some types of infiltrative cancer (lymphoma) are treatable, and respond well to chemotherapy.Please let me know if you have any further questions.