Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is scratching all over jhis self. He has no fleas. What

Customer Question

My dog is scratching all over jhis self. He has no fleas. What can I do to stop this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now it always does depend on what is triggering their irritation (ie pollens, bacterial pyoderma, fungal infections, flea saliva reactions, food protein allergies, mites, etc), but as long as Hondo is up to date on flea treatment and you are seeing no signs of skin issues (ie pimples, pustules, scabs, ulcers, etc); then I would suggest that you can try to soothe his itchiness with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine for these cases (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx). A low dose (ie. 0.5 -2 mg per pound of his body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation for him. We like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your lad has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet.
So, I would suggest that at this stage. Of course, if he doesn't settle or is severely itchy, then we'd want to have his vet check him over to pinpoint the cause but also to soothe that itch with a short course of steroids.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )