Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate cooked chicken bones gergitated food ,saliva, lethargic

Customer Question

my dog ate cooked chicken bones gergitated food ,saliva, lethargic ,stomach pain, cant eat low urinating ,licking lips. I gave her syringes of water and mashed potatoes what will a vet do is surgery the only option?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am so sorry to hear that Cali is showing all of these signs. They all do raise serious worry of a blockage or GI trauma from these bones. Since she has stomach pain, that is a red flag that we do need her seen urgently. In regards ***** ***** a vet can do treatment-wise, this will all depend on where the blockage is. If they xray and the bones are in the stomach, then it is possible to use an endoscope (scope with a camera) to remove them. If they are already into the large bowel or colon, they may be able to remove them with an enema or their scope under anesthesia. But if the blockage is in the small intestine, then surgery would be the treatment option of choice (to avoid the bones lacerating, damaging, or rupturing her intestine) to reach the area and remove these for her.
So, in this situation, her signs do point to blockage and we need to act quickly if she is painful. Still, it will depend where they have gotten stuck to what our options will be to treat her and clear this for her.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what more can I do to help her make it pass ? I will give her enema .. I care for my wife with colon cancer , colostomy bags ,fistula bags and dressings ,feeding tubes etc. I cannot afford the vet expense/time, dove lewis is 50mile away. my hometown vet isn't equipped for any options you quoted ....I guess I answererd my own question, will my vet will euthanize her
peacefully ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
An enema is not advisable. The only things we could really try here, provided she can keep food down, would be to administer a fiber source (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) and a GI lubricant (ie Lactulose, food grade mineral oil, Miralax) mixed into her food. These can help slide blockages through for some dogs. Otherwise, if your vet doesn't have those alternative options and surgery isn't possible; then you can speak to your vet about trying to treat her with anti-vomiting medication and pain relief while using the above. Otherwise, if we cannot get this moving with these options, then euthanizing her to prevent suffering sadly would be our only option left to us.
Please take care,
Dr. B.