Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a shutout cross Maltese who is 4 years old next just

Customer Question

I have a shutout cross Maltese who is 4 years old next just not interested in food just a mouthful of dry biscuits I have my daughters dog with us now he has been with us now for three months but my dog has always had this eating problems
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While inappetence is certainly an important symptom, it isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. I would need to perform a thorough physical exam on Bubbles paying particular attention to her oral cavity for evidence of oral/dental pain and diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to check for metabolic disorders that predispose to nausea and inappetence... and there are far too many of those disorders to post in this venue.
It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you at this time. If Bubbles is maintaining a healthy weight, there's less of an urgency to do anything more than you're doing. If she's too thin or, indeed, progressively losing weight, she should be attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Kay,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubbles. How is everything going?