Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog and I went to the dog park yesterday morning. We

Customer Question

Hi - my dog and I went to the dog park yesterday morning. We played for about two hours, including in the local river. He gave no indication that he was in any pain until we stopped at the pet store on the way home for some food and I noticed him limping a little. When we got home, I checked out his pawpads and they were all VERY torn up and his nails ground down pretty raw too. Needless to say, I was devastated I hadn't noticed until the damage was already done. He's had three meals since and plenty of water but hasn't urinated or defecated since yesterday at the park. He has been laying around all day because it looks like its really painful for him to stand on such raw pads. I've tried helping him outside, putting booties on him and holding him up but he still won't go. I'm really starting to get worried about him... I've been keeping his pads clean and while I hate seeing him in that much pain, I'm a lot more concerned that he isn't going potty after eating and drinking as much as he usually does. What can I do for him before I am able to bring him to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Have the pads been bleeding at all?

How many hours has it been since the park (since he is understandably holding urine and feces trying not to go)?

What have you been cleaning them with?