Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our dog has recently (in the last month or so) started yelping

Customer Question

Our dog has recently (in the last month or so) started yelping when we touch him lightly on his back. He jumps like he is startled and let's out a yelp like he is hurt. He won't jump anymore like he used too and mostly just lies around. I'm not sure what caused it or how to help him. He is a pit mix breed and is about 5 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. His behavior - vocalizing when approached or touched as well as reluctance to jump up or down or navigate steps - are signs pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of back pain - most often associated with intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk") in our dogs. This is usually addressed conservatively with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam +/- a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam +/- a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol. Exercise restriction is important.
Dodge's vet may recommend X-rays of Dodge's spine to better understand the extent of Dodge's back pain. Most important, if Dodge became paretic (weak) or, indeed, paralyzed in any limb, he needs to be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. Those dogs may be surgical candidates.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.