Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Fiona, Steffie here. My medium sized terrier like, very

Customer Question

Hi Fiona, Steffie here. My medium sized terrier like, very furry and muscular male dog of seven years old was attacked four days ago by two weimaraners. I have M.E. And Fibromyalgia so I actually can't walk with my dogs myself. After the girl told me about the attacking I examined Patito closely I saw his big legs were sore but he had a triple coat and I couldn't find any bite marks. I was very relieved. My dogs are are always on the leech and here in Spain many people let there dogs just walk by themselvets. Today Patito started vomiting yellow water. I was worried he might have a heat stroke because we are over40 degrees Celsius what is really hot. I check him to see his temp. Wich was 38.4 Celsius and then I found two bite marks on the inside of his leg, one is 0.3 cm deep and was covered with pus. The yellow stuff. The other was more shallow and covered and closed but beneath the two bites there are two small half fist infections wich look pinkish red, the skin surrounding the groain and the tummy is rashed with little bits of pus. I called the vet and she was after hour just for 15 minutes to see him and give him medications she had to cover me 80euros, for after hour help. I have saved four street dogs and three cats and because of being chronicly Ill I don't have huge amount of emergency money. So she told me to clean it with water and soup till all the pus would be gone, I did, then to put betadine, the Braun yellow stuff the Use in operations on it, I even squished a bit in the wound with a syringe. Whiteout the needle. She told me to buy liquid amoxicillin and give him 500 mg and liquid ibuprofen and give him 5ml . And give him small amount of water. I'm worried the poor guy always gets attacked, we have them always on the leech and Spanish people just leave there dogs run around without supervision or they don't listen to them. Do you think the dosage are right now would you proceed. He seemed a bit happier after the medicine, but he loves attention so it might us being hoovering over him wich make him feel better. I'm feel so awfull that I didn't found it before, and I feel so guilty, but he really didn't give us any signs other then not wanted to sit, while he always listen, I though he had some bruises no I feel so stupid not checking again. I hope you have good advice for me, maybe even how to protect hem from other attacks? Thanks so much Steffie a Dutch girl in Spain
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Steffie, the dose of amoxicillin is 10 mg/kg twice daily for at least a week. You mustn't give Patito ibuprofen, however. It's toxic to dogs. You can give aspirin with food at a dose of 20 mg/kg twice daily which is safe. Keep cleaning his wounds as instructed. In some cases, those wounds need to be opened up and flushed thoroughly with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine before they'll heal completely, so if you don't see good healing after a week, let Patito's vet know.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Michael,So coming back to your awnser, what about his drinking and eating in the meanwhile and his walks? And after washing I put on the betadine but he keeps licking that of. It's very hot here at the moment are there precautions I have to take because of the heat. And I really really would love some advice about the Patitio always being attacked like stating in the first question, we neutered him two years ago, hoping this would help. Like I said he always walks on a leech and is half the size of a Labrador and big dogs always want to attack him, except when my husband is walking with him. Is it better to walk him alone or better in the pack we have 4 dogs 3 females. But because they have been targeted by a Spanish mastiff and a boxer for a year long multiple attacks, ( we moved because of that reason they were our neighbours) they are all terrified for other dogs.I would really appreciate that you can reply this awnsers I paid a full 19 euro for this one question, I hadn't seen the 7 days free trial offer, and the 19 euro after that a month deal, so I hope you understand.
Thanks you very much Michael, sincere Steffie
There are no special dietary or exercise restrictions at this time. He can't hurt himself by licking the Betadine. It might cause minor GI distress, however.
There are training methods for Patito that are designed to curb any behavior of his that encourages being attacked by other dogs. (This, of course, is only half the battle because you don't have control of those other dogs.) This is best done by a trainer who comes to you and watches the dynamics of his interaction with other dogs. For more information concerning training, please recategorize your question into the "dog training" category on this site. Please check with***@******.*** about any possible additional cost to you for doing so. I don't believe there's an additional cost.
Hi Steffie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Patito. How is everything going?