Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have a question regarding urinary tract infection in older

Customer Question

I have a question regarding urinary tract infection in older pug.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am happy to help you with your question about a urinary tract infection in a older pug. Please let me know what the question is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a 13 1/2 year old pug who is has a sensitive stomach. He was diagnosed with a staph infection schleiferi coagulan that is resistant to everything but chloramphenicol. This is day 4 and I can tell he does not feel well. Refuses to eat. He is still obsessed with urinating. I might add he has bladder stones that are due to be surgically removed next week. The surgeon wants him on the antibiotic for 7 days prior to surgery. I don't know if he can do it.
I am very sorry to hear that he is not eating well. Chloramphenicol commonly causes stomach upset and if he stops eating then the antibiotic should be stopped. You may want to ask your vet to call the lab that did the culture because they will often have the bacteriologist there to discuss other options for antibiotics that may work even if resistant to everything. Often times there is some indication on the culture that even though its resistant to everything that there may be an antibiotic that actually would work that isn't so harsh on his tummy. If he is on 3 times a day chloramphenicol then you can try twice daily to see if that is easier on his tummy. I have had some luck with that. Otherwise you really will not clear up the infection no matter what when the stones are in there so as soon as they come out then the infection will clear up much faster. Since he is not doing great with the antibiotics then doing surgery sooner than later may be advisable as that will help the infection clear. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!