petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My elderly dog has been crawling on her left hind leg, it breaks

Customer Question

My elderly dog has been crawling on her left hind leg, it breaks my heart. Vet prescribed Pred 5, I didn't notice any change and also she was injected with anti inflamatory. I requested XRays but because of her age it is a risk. What else may be out there to relieve her crawling?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
......
While prednisone is a very potent anti-inflammatory, it is not a pain reliever by itself, even though by relieving inflammation, you will sometimes reduce pain as well. I would talk to your vet about adding a true pain reliever as well. The drug called gabapentin or tramadol may be helpful along with the pred may be helpful and may offer her more relief.
........
I am not sure why your vet feels that xrays at her age would be a risk. They are never considered a risky procedure, but perhaps they were concerned with her getting too nervous. If that is the case, they may be able to relieve some of her anxiety with a mild sedative given right before the procedure.
.......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your response. I am thinking of bringing my pet to ASPCA to get more info since I am not satisfied with my Vet. Your response eased me somewhat since I will be requesting X Rays to hopefully eliminate a problem with her bone. I appreciate your insight.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a good plan. Keep me posted as to how things progress.