Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a question but It would help if I can insert a photo

Customer Question

I have a question but It would help if I can insert a photo of what is going on. Is that possible with this website? A couple months ago I noticed a patch of missing fur on my dogs tail. The skin where the hair had fallen off is black and hard compared to the rest of his skin. My vet told me it could have been an allergic reaction or an injury from a while ago so i thought nothing of it. My dog is almost 6 and he's never had an allergic reaction before and we are sticking to the same foods we always do.
Two weeks ago he was partially sprayed by a skunk. After trying to wash him ourselves (with the same shampoo we always use) we took him into a vet to have him professionall "de-skunked". He smelled great the first couple of days and then the stink came back to his head. The rest of his body smelled better, but his head smells terrible. I then noticed 5 small black hard bumps under his fur on his face. They were about the size of a tick before being engorged but they weren't ticks. They were perfectly round hard black scabs. Then he started losing fur on his face in that area. You could pull them out in clumps. The skin is now turning kind of hard and black in that area. Now I can feel a perfectly round bump on the top of his head but it is below the skin and has not surfaced yet. What is going on with my dog??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been an hour since i submitted this, is anyone out there?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You can upload photos by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Mites are unlikely. Bacterial folliculitis should be considered on his face. The process of darkening and thickening skin is called lichenification. It's more indicative of chronicity rather than a specific disease process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do though? Can I do anything to stop it? Anything safe and natural? I'm able to gently pull out hair in huge pat chess it's getting worse by the minute. I requested an urgent response and I'm just now getting one :( please help! My iPhone can't get close enough to focus on the site of concern on my dog. We have to travel soon. He's a therapy pet and we are flying out in a week. Please help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Patches*
Without my seeing what you're seeing, I can only guess what's going on and surely you don't want me to do that. If I'm correct that those areas of hair loss represent a bacterial folliculitis (infection of the hair follicles), a systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin will be needed for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. I'm not sure what you envision as "natural" but shampooing the affected areas in a chlorhexidine-containing shampoo can hasten remission of this type of infection.
Most puzzling is that bump on the top of his head that's under the skin. That's impossible for me to assess from here and so a vet visit seems in his future once again. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay here are as close as I can get. Please keep in mind there were 4 separate perfectly half spherical scrap mounds, that looked like ticks but they weren't. The ski surrounding these bumps was black and hard. The photos make the skin look pink but it is ashy gray and black in reality. The bumps under the skin of his head, they come and go through out the day. I'm very concerned.
I am too but no photos were uploaded. Please try again. "Black and hard" suggests scabs. Bumps under the skin that come and go are hives or wheals - a hypersensitivity reaction in the skin. Allergies to foods, chemicals, vaccines, or envenomations will cause hives and wheals.