DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My schitzu is constantly linking his genitals he has been

Customer Question

My schitzu is constantly linking his genitals he has been neutered
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for the question. Sometimes this can be a sign of allergy issues. You may want to talk with your vet about that. Does he seem itchy at all? You could try him on some Benadryl and see if it helps. The dose is 1mg per lb body weight every 8 -12 hours. It will cause some drowsiness. Another possibility is an issue with hair irritating the penis. Sometimes a hair is wrapped around or stuck on the penis and is irritating. If you have trouble getting his penis out to look at it, you'll have to have a vet check. Do not forcibly try to remove the penis from the sheath. Finally sometimes licking at the penis is misdirected from irritation with the butt. It could be an anal gland issue. Does he scoot his butt on the ground too? These are my thoughts on what might be going on....unfortunately without an exam, I can not know which it is. You may want to schedule an exam with your vet to help you distinguish between these things. Best of luck.