Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is not eating and he has thrown up. His tongue comes

Customer Question

My dog is not eating and he has thrown up. His tongue comes out repeatedly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- How much does he weigh? 4- Can you open his mouth and see if there is something stuck under the tongue, teeth or gums?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe he did, but I am not sure. No. 17 I will try. I did not find anythingl
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, in the absence of a foreign body in the oral cavity it is possible he is repeatedly sticking his tongue out because he is nausea. The big question is: Why is he vomiting? vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-10 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-10 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter